CONSTRUCTION HIRING CONNECTION
Connecting Construction Professionals, Job Seekers, Contractors, Schools
Construction Training Programs and Career InformationInterested in a career in Construction? Review the available construction training programs in Minnesota.
Careers in Construction – Short Film
Success in the New Economy
– Understanding the misalignment of education and our workforce needs. This is a short film about the cost of traditional college, the shortage of skilled trades workers and the wage differences of college graduates verses trades school graduates.
High-Wage: High-Demand careers
Are you interested in High-Wage, High-Demand careers? Consider a career in the construction trades. Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota is looking for women interested in 12 weeks of hands-on training in Construction that includes job placement assistance:
- Six weeks of classroom and shop training
- Six weeks paid training on construction sites
- Instruction in construction concepts, green building
- practices, tool use, blueprints, math and measuring
- Insulation, drywall, siding, roofing and deconstruction
- OSHA 10 Completion Card
- Lead Abatement Worker Certification
- Earn 36 continuing education units
- Union and construction industry speakers/tours
- Assistance with job placement and follow-up services including help with resumes, applications, interviewing,
job search, retention and promotions
- Support to achieve long-term career goals: Twin Cities
companies hire Goodwill-Easter Seals graduates!
- Hours: Mon – Fri 8:00am – 1:30pm
Where: Goodwill-Easter Seals Minnesota
Construction/Automotive Training Facility
635 Prior Ave. N.
St. Paul, MN 55104
For more information call 651-379-5837
Goodwill-Easter Seals also offers training in Automotive Services, Banking and Finance, Computer Literacy, Contact Center and Medical Office. Call 651-379-5837 for more information.
LRT BUILD Apprenticeship Preparatory Program
The LRT BUILD Program is a 10-week apprenticeship preparatory program that will prepare you for an exciting and well-paid career in the construction industry. This program offers graduates the opportunity to meet with unions and contractors working on the Southwest Light Rail Transit (Metro Green Line Extension) Project. Attend an upcoming session on June 5.
To participate in the LRT BUILD program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have received a H.S. Diploma/GED or be scheduled to graduate from high school by June 2017
- Possess a valid driver’s license by the end of the 10-week program
- NOT already enrolled in a Construction Union
For More Information:
Maintenance Custodial Skills Training Program
- Obtain the skill sets needed to begin a career in the maintenance or custodial field, including Janitor/Custodian with wages starting around $12 – $14 per hour!
- Participate in advanced technical and workplace skills training in the maintenance and custodial fields
- Prepare for and take the Boilers License Exam, ServSafe Certification and the Pool Operator (CPO) Certification exams
- Develop Microsoft Office 2010 Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint skills through instructor-led, lecture, lab and hands on instruction
- Participate in 50 hours of paid hands-on training
This two-course training program includes:
Workplace Essentials Training – 60 Hours Workplace expectations, typing skills, professional communications, health and safety in the workplace, applied math, core skills in MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Outlook & MS Excel, Internet problem solving, financial literacy, relationship building, social media, goal setting, prioritizing & time management.
July 10 – August 10, 2017 8:30 AM –12:00 PM
Maintenance Custodial Fundamentals Training – 315 hours Restroom & office cleaning, carpentry, painting, drywall, tool use, safety, plumbing, floor care, core electricity, heating & air conditioning, & paid hands-on training. Prep for Boilers License Exam (Minnesota Department of Labor Special Class Engineer License). Prep for & administration of the Pool Operator (CPO) Certification. Prep and Exam for ServSafe Manager Certification.
August 14 – October 20, 2017 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM, M-F
The Cement Masons, Plasterers & Shop hands local 633 Training Center is offering a 12-week Cement Masons Trade Orientation training. This is a free training and all tools that are needed on the job will be provided free of charge. We will also assist with job placement through our Signatory Contractors.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a H.S. Diploma or GED (COPY REQUIRED)
- Must have Valid MN Driver’s License as well as reliable transportation
- Physically capable of performing the work
Training will begin Monday, May 1st, 2017 and conclude July 21st, 2017 held Monday through Friday from 7:30am – 3:30pm.
Merrick Community Services
Merrick Community Services is now accepting applications for its Spring 2017 Construction Training Program. Merrick will serve as
your career coach and provide job readiness training and retention services.
The FREE training provides:
- OSHA 30 Certificate
- Flagging Certificate
- First Aid, CPR & AED Certificate
- Fork Lift Training Certificate
- Scissor Lift Training
- Boom Lift Training
Classes are May 1st – June 7th, 2017
Download: Merrick Construction Training
Free Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)Training
HAP is now offering a short-term (90 hours) training program in Class-B Commercial Driver’s License. Receive permit and behind the wheel training.
Download: Free CDL Training
To learn more, please contact:
1075 Arcade St.
Saint Paul, MN 55106
The program has been funded through a grant from the Minnesota Job Skills Partnership. During the training phase of the program, Trading Up will provide program participants with hands-on experience in a variety of skilled trades. Available skilled trades include: carpenter, electrician, plumber, pipefitter, bricklayer, tile setter, sheet metal worker, heat and frost insulator, equipment/machine operator, iron worker, painter, glazier, and roofer.
Here is the link to the Trading Up webpage: www.saintpaul.edu/TradingUp
Carpentry Preparation: Hands on preparation to enter Pre-Apprenticeship program with building trades. Learn skills in construction safety, OSHA 10 Certification. Develop carpentry skills in wood framing interior and exterior finish, hand and power tool use, carpentry math and reading skills. In addition, receive First Aid/CPR training.
Hubb Center FastTRAC Training Programs – Minnesota FastTRAC (Training, Resources, and Credentialing) seeks to make Minnesota more competitive by meeting the common skills needs of businesses and individuals. FastTRAC’s innovative approach helps educationally underprepared adults succeed in well-paying careers by integrating basic skills education and career-specific training in fields where new skills are in high demand. By focusing on high-demand fields, FastTRAC meets the needs of business while ensuring that students find well-paying jobs with room for advancement.
Download: Hubbs Center Occupational Prep Classes
About the Program
Highway Heavy training puts people on the road to success by helping them to earn the basic skills needed for entry-level positions on major construction projects and a commercial driver ’s license (CDL). After successfully completing training, participants qualify for good paying jobs in transportation and highway heavy construction.
Classes meet Monday – Friday for 16 weeks. During the first 8 weeks participants focus on earning their CDL permit and the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC). Behind-the-wheel and highway heavy training is offered the final 8 weeks of the course and the schedule will include Saturdays.
To apply, please complete the application form available at http://bit.ly/CDLApp. For more information, including class dates and times, please contact the Transportation Programs Manager at (651) 222-3741 or email@example.com. Download: YWCA CDL Training program , Class B CDL Flyer
Pathways to a Better Life (… a program for Ex-Offenders)
We know you’ve got challenges ahead of you. Let us walk alongside you as you meet each of these challenges on your way to achieving a brand new way of living. Turn this sheet over to see all the ways we can help you, and how you can get started on this exciting path. Download: Pathways to a Better Life Flyer